KIDS IN FOCUS
Kids in Focus (KIF) Family Drug Support, a program funded through FaHCSIA, has been established on the Gold Coast to provide early intervention and assertive outreach support to families with children impacted by substance misuse.
The Gold Coast Drug Council leads a collaborative partnership with the Benevolent Society Early Years Centre and Wesley Mission Brisbane. This provides Kids in Focus with specialist wraparound services for families impacted by problematic substance use. Healthy attachment, resilience and adolescence issues can all be addressed while supporting parents within a dual diagnosis framework.
The intended approach to service delivery is to offer a flexible response to clients on the Gold Coast across multiple services settings including outreach and home visits. It is envisaged that the KIF project will achieve this by providing comprehensive needs assessments to identify areas that the family require support and intensive intervention.
- Strengthen the capacity of family functioning and improve relationships
- Reduction in psychological and/or physical harm to a parent or carer substance user, their children and other family members
- Increased access to, and timely provision of, integrated services to improve child development, safety and family functioning
- Improve practical parenting skills
- To reduce the harms (or potential harms) from substance misuse, and any co-occurring mental health issue
Increased collaboration and partnerships with relevant family, children’s welfare, mental health and alcohol and other drug organisations
Strengthen vulnerable and at-risk families connection with social and community networks
- Provide long-term, integrated & intensive outreach (in-home) support for children, their parents and carers impacted by substance use in the family
- To reduce the impact on children of problematic substance use by a parent or carer
- Help support children through engagement in age-appropriate social activities
- Assist parents develop practical parenting skills and facilitate access to children’s services, such as: childcare, playgroup, parentchild programs
- Work with families to improve relationships and social support networks
- Assist parents and/or carers to access information, support and services to overcome substance mis-use
Provide targeted counselling and intervention to minimise the risk of child abuse and neglect
KIF will provide a mobile service at a number of different youth oriented agencies.
This program is free of charge to clients.
Funded by Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs.